Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Alberta Part One : Badlands

Alright I think I've been holding out enough on images from my trip out west, so let me start at the beginning of this photo adventure. We landed in Calgary on October 5th and the next day we were off on our first stop, Drumheller and the surrounding badlands. So what are the badlands? Short answer, the badlands are dry ocean beds, they have been dry for million of years now and the area around Drumheller holds one of the largest fossil deposits in the world because of it.


Pretty interesting stuff, the best to find out about it is of course the Royal Tyrrell Museum, famous for it's dinosaur collection. So off we went to a place I've wanted to visit since I was about 6 and crazy about dinosaurs. I couldn't help feel like a kid again walking through this awesome institution. This is a small taste of the images I collected from my visit.








After that awesome experience we continued on to some other sites around the area.



The most interesting location in my opinion was the Atlas Coal Mine, which was a former coal mine now converted into a museum. Unfortunately the underground section on the site was closed for repair during our visit, but they was plenty to see on the outside. I highly suggest a visit to people who love vintage machines and history in general.












So there you have the first small slice of images from this adventure, check back later for the next part!

Also I am aware I didn't go into much detail about these locations so I am providing links to websites of vast information for those thinking they may wish to visit these places someday.





-Larry M. Holder




No comments:

Post a Comment